Percent Of Immigration Raid Arrests Were For Criminal Convictions, DHS Says


Federal immigration officials say 160 people were arrested across the Southland over the past week during a crackdown targeting "criminal aliens, illegal re-entrants and immigration fugitives".

Kelly said Trump "has been clear" that deporting undocumented immigrants is a critical mission of the DHS, "with a specific focus on those who pose a threat to public safety, have been charged with criminal offenses, have committed immigration violations or have been deported and re-entered the country illegally". Of the 190 arrested in Georgia and the Carolinas, 127 had prior criminal convictions.

ICE officials insisted, however, that while the raids represented an enforcement "surge", they were "no different than the routing, targeted arrests carried out by ICE's Fugitive Operations Teams on a daily basis".

Asked how ICE determines whom to arrest, Gilman said: "There's no list of the 12 million people who are here undocumented".

"Something like 94 percent would fall into what President Obama referred to as his 'enforcement priorities, '" Gomez said, noting that based on his calculations, only about 48 of the 655 people who were targeted in the raids would not have fallen under Obama's enforcement priorities.

"The rash of these recent reports about ICE checkpoints and random sweeps and the like, it's all false, and that's definitely risky and irresponsible", Marin said. Ever since the 2008 raid, she had checked in annually with ICE to review her case-brief meetings that always resulted in her walking free, even though she had been convicted of a felony and later had a deportation order against her.

Lose Job if You Drink Alcohol even when Outside the Country?
The amendment has been made in the Bihar Government Servants Conduct Rules, 1976 and Bihar Judicial Officers Conduct Rules, 2017. According to the new rule, if officials are caught consuming liquor, they may face dismissal, suspension and salary cut.

Michael Kagan, a professor of immigration law at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, said immigration advocates are concerned that the arrests could signal the beginning of more aggressive enforcement and increased deportations under Trump.

As it is, immigration officers are still going after mostly the worst of the worst, because the USA court system is not big enough to handle many more than that - maxing out at about 400,000 deportations a year.

He said 75 per cent of the approximately 160 people detained in the LA operation had serious convictions - meaning the other 25 per cent had minor convictions or were undocumented.

Garcia said that a lot of the times the families affected have members who are citizens, and members who are not. Mechkowski said, and the man was present when another person was being arrested.

On one hand, President Trump's rhetoric, along with his executive orders, point to an administration that could significantly step up actions against undocumented immigrants.

City Council speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito said she expects more "dragnet raids" in NY and that they'll "destabilize communities and devastate families".

The Kraft Heinz Company (NASDAQ:KHC) quarterly profit beat Wall Street forecasts
CWM LLC now owns 1,367 shares of the company's stock valued at $122,000 after buying an additional 246 shares during the period. Enterprise Financial Services Corp boosted its stake in shares of The Kraft Heinz Company by 8.5% in the second quarter.

People detained in Austin typically are taken to the South Texas Detention Facility in Pearsall, southwest of San Antonio.

"Multiple members, I think, of the media here reported on an arrest this morning and multiple members of the media here reported on the video that happened right up the street here at Whataburger, so that is another public ICE action", Casar said.

Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Commerce, said she was "outraged" at news of the recent raids and suggested that some people who were targeted had no violent or criminal history.

"Most field offices are required to do a few a year and it's not uncommon for us to do a coordinated operation with several field offices at a time", she explained. And so far, the policy remains in place, and both Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan have said supportive things about the future of these young people.

The report released by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center estimates more than 2 million immigrants in the country illegally lived in the two areas in 2014.

Immigration agents illegally detain Obama program 'dreamer,' lawsuit says
The officers had arrived at the home to arrest Ramirez's father, though it was unclear why, according to the Reuters report . La Paz means "Peace" in Spanish and is also the capital of the Mexican state of Baja California Sur, where Ramirez was born.