Afghan officials: United States bomb killed more ISIL fighters than thought

Share

The provincial police commandment said the suicide bombers were looking to target the police commandment of Achin district. He said that allowing the USA military to launch such an attack in Nangarhar was an insult to Afghans.

American officials said the bomb had been positioned for possible use in Afghanistan for "some time" since the administration of former president Barack Obama.

Hamid Karzai, former Afghan president, also condemned the USA military's deployment of MOAB, saying Afghanistan should not be used as a "testing ground" for weapons.

"And this was another very, very successful mission". An American special forces soldier was killed in Nangarhar while conducting anti-ISIS operations.

The office of President Ashraf Ghani said there was "close coordination" between the US military and the Afghan government over the operation, and they were careful to prevent any civilian casualties.

The U.S. commander in Afghanistan who ordered use of the "mother of all bombs" to attack an Islamic State stronghold didn't need President Donald Trump's approval, Pentagon officials said Friday.

United States general suggests Russian Federation arming Taliban
More than 100 Afghan soldiers were killed and injured in the attack, according to the Defense Ministry. McMaster spoke to his Afghan counterpart, Haneef Atmar, and condemned the terrorist attack.

Chief Executive of Afghanistan Abdullah Abdullah said the attack had been carried out in co-ordination with his government and "great care had been taken to avoid civilian harm".

Graphic shows the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb (MOAB).

"Civilians had moved out of that area years ago, no family lived there except for these fighters", he said.

PJ Crowley, a former U.S. air force colonel, said civilians would've only been impacted by the blast - which he likened to "creating a minor quake in that particular area" - by the tremors that followed.

USA forces and Afghan commandos are seen in Asad Khil village near the site of a US bombing in the Achin district of Jalalabad, east of Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, April 17, 2017.

A local resident living around two kilometers (1.5 miles) from the blast told CNN he heard an "extremely loud boom that smashed the windows of our house".

Pedroia still ailing, Farrell complaining over Machado slide
RED SOX KEY TRENDS: The Red Sox have been a poor bet to win on the road, losing 11 of their last 14 games away from Fenway Park. Chris Davis doubled and Mancini and Schoop homered before Adam Jones chased Wright with an RBI single. "They hit mistakes.

The US Department of Defense posted a video of the strike on Twitter with the caption: "A MOAB bomb strikes Isis cave and tunnel systems in eastern Afghanistan".

He said that several houses, mosques and other buildings developed cracks due to the impact of the bombing.

At least four ISIS military leaders were also killed in the attack, Khogyani claimed.

The US military previously estimated ISIS had 600 to 800 active fighters in the area.

Meanwhile, Afghan authorities on Saturday reported a jump in fatalities from the huge bombing, declaring some 90 Da'ish fighters dead, as US-led ground forces sought to advance on their mountain hideouts.

David Moyes: Sunderland manager charged over 'slap' comment
Moyes' Sunderland are rock bottom of the table, 12 points off Hull City in 17th albeit with two games in hand. 'I've accepted the mistake.

Share