IS death toll hits 90 from huge USA bomb in Afghanistan

Share

On Thursday night, the US military unleashed a 20,000-pound bomb - one of the largest non-nuclear weapons in its arsenal - on a tunnel complex the Pentagon said was used by Islamic State fighters in eastern Afghanistan.

A security official stands guard near the site where the US dropped a GBU-43 Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) on an Islamic State (IS) militant cave complex in Achin district, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, April 14.

The strike targeted a network of fortified underground tunnels that ISIS had been using to stage attacks on government forces in Nangarhar province, near the Pakistan border.

President Ashraf Ghani said Afghan and USA forces closely coordinated on the bombing, however his predecessor has strongly denounced the strike and the United States.

Karzai's remarks come just two days after the U.S. on Thursday night fired off a Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB), commonly known as the Mother of All Bombs, against a ISIS tunnel complex in the remote area of Nangarhar.

Pentagon officials had described it as the "mother of all bombs".

Harvard finds parchment copy of Declaration of Independence
They concluded it dated to the 1780s, and was produced in America, most likely in NY or Philadelphia. The parchment was likely made in NY or Philadelphia.

"This is the right munition to reduce these obstacles and maintain the momentum of our offensive against ISIS-K", he added, using the US military's acronym for the IS affiliate.

The U.S. estimates 600 to 800 IS fighters are present in Afghanistan, mostly in Nangarhar.

"The strike has destroyed an ISIS headquarters, three ISIS hideouts along with several bunkers and deep tunnels as well as huge amount of weapons and ammunition", the Afghanistan Defense Ministry statement said.

"Fortunately there is no report of civilians being killed in the attack", Khogyani said.

The strike was part of a joint operation by Afghan and worldwide troops, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's office said in a statement.

U.S. President Donald Trump April 13 called the bombing "another successful job".

Celtics' Thomas: Days since sister died hardest of my life
There was the big trade last summer when the Bulls sent hometown favorite and former MVP Derrick Rose to NY after going 42-40. When Rondo was hurt late in the season, Jerian Grant stepped in as his replacement, with Michael Carter-Williams the backup.

But the massive blast still terrified villagers 20 miles away across the border in Pakistan.

The Site Intelligence Group, which tracks extremist organizations, reported Friday on a statement from the Afghan Taliban condemning the US for its "terrorist" attack.

"I want a hundred times more bombings on this group", said Hakim Khan, 50, a resident of Achin district, the site of the blast. Though he has largely faded from the news since leaving office in 2014, Karzai emerged as a national hero as Afghanistan's first post-Taliban president.

Inamullah Meyakhil, spokesman for the central hospital in eastern Nangarhar province, said no dead or wounded had been brought to the facility from the attack.

Former Afghan president Hamid Karzai condemned the use of the weapon on Afghan soil.

He once said the invasion of Afghanistan was a mistake, though he later walked back that statement, saying he "always supported" United States involvement in the country.

White House seeks to fend off criticism over Carl Vinson's whereabouts
Aircraft carrier Carl Vinson is now in the Indian Ocean whereas Washington had said it was on its way to the Korean peninsula. Several news reports said the aircraft had crashed, although this was not specifically mentioned in the official statement.

Share