Brisbane City Council withdraws funding for Horn-Pacquiao rematch

Share

Amid news of the confirmation of a rematch between Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao and the last man to beat him, newly-crowned WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn, reports have surfaced that the championship do-over will be held in the Philippines.

It is believed the council spent more than $1 million promoting the first Battle of Brisbane where Horn won the world title in a controversial points decision. Pacquiao had an option to accept another bout with the former schoolteacher, although there were suggestions that he could finally call an end to his boxing career.

In terms of the fight schedule, the secretary also revealed that they are looking at December 9, which incidentally is one week before Pacquiao's birthday.

SC parents name newborn daughter in honor of total solar eclipse
According to the hospital, 6-pound, 3-ounce Eclipse's mother and father "made a last-minute decision to name her Eclipse". At first, she thought it was probably just another another false alarm, but the contractions soon grew stronger.

A rematch had been in doubt when Lord Mayor Graham Quirk threatened to withdraw funding if Pacquiao did not commit to returning to the Queensland capital for the rematch.

"This is now confirmed it will happen".

Ms Palaszczuk said on Sunday that she was in the advanced stages of negotiations for a Brisbane rematch following an informal meeting with Horn and Duco Events director Dean Lonergan on Saturday.

WhatsApp Coloured Text Status Now Rolling Out to Android and iPhone
WhatsApp Status is a Snapchat's Stories like feature allowing user to share photos and now even texts with friends and family. You can select from the following three options: "my contacts, ' "contacts except" and 'only share with".

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says her government is in advanced discussions to bring a rematch between Australia's Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao back to Brisbane.

Arum was at ringside in Omaha where he took time out to announce the plan to take Crawford to Australia later this year to watch the Pacquiao-Horn rematch.

"We are absolutely in Jeff Horn's corner and the advice that I have received is Pacquiao is keen to have this fight and we are now working through and negotiating the details to secure that for Queensland", she said.

One more dies, death toll rises to 17
The health department further informed that, the H1N1 death toll, which was 82 till August 8, increased to 95 by August 20. Such patients should be isolated, hospitalized, should be administered Tami flu and needed to be tested for swine flu.

Share