Since then, the Iranian-backed Houthis have been dislodged from most of the south, but remain in control of Sanaa and much of the north.
The Houthis, who control Sanaa and northern Yemen, are fighting Yemen's internationally recognised government, which is backed by the Saudi-led military alliance in a war which has killed at least 10,000 people and unleashed a humanitarian disaster.
The war between the Saudi-backed government and the rebels, allied with Iran, has killed more than 8,300 Yemenis since 2015 and pushed the country to the brink of starvation.
The United States is Suspending USD 300 million in Aid to Egypt
United States officials were especially unhappy that Egypt's president, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, in May allowed the NGO law to go into effect.
An official with an worldwide aid organisation confirmed to AFP that at least 30 people had been killed in a series of strikes on the capital.
At least 13 others were wounded and have been admitted to local hospitals, Tawil told AFP.
Yemen's Houthi rebels have declared an "emergency state" in Sanaa and issued a ban on partisan activities ahead of the 35-year anniversary of the establishment of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh's political party. In Yemen, since August 2014, there is a struggle between government forces and Shiites.
Netanyahu and Putin address Syria, Iran in joint…
A recent truce deal the two powers brokered for southwest Syria makes no mention of ending Iran's presence, and that's got Israel rattled.
Northern and southern Yemen have both come under aerial attack in recent months, and the coalition has come under massive pressure from global organisations including the United Nations for its role in the raids.
Earlier this month, nine civilians from two families were killed in airstrikes by Saudi-led coalition in Yemen's northern province of Saada, according to local residents and officials.
The UN has said the Saudi coalition was likely responsible for a July attack on the southwestern Taez province killed 20 people, including children.
Former First Kid Chelsea Clinton defends Barron Trump on Twitter
No one wanted to see Chelsea Clinton picked on, and the same was true for Malia and Sasha Obama. Bloomberg reports that the White House is renewing its initial request to give Barron privacy.
The coalition has not claimed responsibility for Wednesday's attack. It was part of at least 25 air strikes that targeted Sanaa and the outskirts of the city since midnight.