3 dead, search on for others after landslide at Penang construction site

Share

Reports say rescue operations are now underway with the Penang fire and rescue department revealing in a statement that two people so far have been pulled from the landslide, which occurred at a building construction site.

Penang Island City Council mayor Datuk Maimunah Mohd Sharif has confirmed the discovery of two bodies.

"The collapsed area was the basement space", he said.

A total of 14 victims were confirmed buried, where 13 of them are foreign workers, while another is a local resident.

Germany: Knife attack in Munich leaves several injured
A manhunt has been launched in Munich after a knife-wielding attacker injured several people early Saturday, police said. Officers warned residents to stay in their homes because the suspect is said to be still on the run.

"I was operating the crane when suddenly the earth caved in". "There was hardly time to do anything".

Bangladeshi national Mohd Bulumulah Mohd Atelmullah, 47, was seen seated on a pathway in tears anxious about his nephew Nuralla Altapussh, 35, who is believed to be buried in the landslide.

"We have issued a stop-work order, pending investigations", she said in a WhatsApp message to FMT.

Officials say a landslide at a construction site in northern Malaysia has killed three foreign workers with rescuers searching for 11 others feared trapped in the mud and rubble.

Egyptian official: 14 policemen killed southwest of Cairo
Egypt accuses Hasm of being the terrorist wing of the Muslim Brotherhood , an Islamic group it outlawed in 2013. Clashes occurred when eight militants opened fire at a security force that was heading to arrest them.

Mohammad Jashim Husseif Ahmad, 27, said there were about 20 people at the scene.

The Fire and Rescue Department found three bodies by 1pm.

Aside from projects near hill slopes, he also said the state should review all high density housing projects and change its high density housing policy to prevent any future tragedies.

Security forces conduct a rescue operation at a construction site after a landslide in Penang, Malaysia, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017.

Gold Star widow shares her call with President Trump
Her husband, the father of five, died during a firefight with Islamic State fighters in eastern Afghanistan on April 8. Trump and Natasha then talked about her children and their talents before ending the call.

Share