Can a tick really paralyze a person?

Share

A 5-year-old Mississippi girl was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center after her mother discovered a tick in her head.

Jessica Griffin wrote on Facebook that doctors in MS performed a multitude of tests and a CT scan on her daughter, Kailyn, suspecting everything from a stroke to a neurological syndrome - until they found the cause of little girl's odd symptoms: A tick on the crown of her head.

A MS girl is lucky to be alive this week after contracting a rare tick-borne disease that temporarily cost her the ability to walk, Yahoo News is reporting.

Griffin said she immediately took Kailyn to an emergency room, where doctors ran blood tests and performed a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis of tick paralysis.

"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she wrote.

Trump adviser sorry he made Trudeau comment
Another thing buoying Trudeau has been the near-universal Canadian response to Trump's comments. You can't do that. "I have a good relationship with Justin Trudeau , I really did".

Tick paralysis is a very rare illness caused by neurotoxins found in certain species' saliva.

Mom at first thought that maybe Kailyn had slept in an awkward position and her legs had gone numb, according to a Facebook post.

She pulled the tick out and placed it in a plastic bag, then rushed to the hospital with Kailyn, WTXL reported. Scary is [an] UNDERSTATEMENT!

Women and children are most at risk. Paralysis sets in slowly, starting in the legs and spreading into upper body, stopping your breathing if left unchecked. This condition caused the toxin found in the study.

Symptoms do not start right away, but typically start to appear after the tick has been feeding on the person or animal for four to seven days.

Senate adopts measure blocking Trump ZTE deal
The deal would cost a total of $1.7 billion ($361 million was already paid as part of a settlement in March). Then the full bill will have to pass, and be merged with a version that passed the House earlier this year.

The main treatment for tick paralysis is completely removing the tick, including all of its mouthparts, since they contain the salivary glands that produce the toxin. "We are being admitted to the hospital for observation and we're hoping her balance gets straightened out!" she wrote.

And last year, Amanda Lewis woke up and found that her 3-year-old daughter, Evelyn, couldn't stand no matter how hard the little girl tried, according to the La Grande Observer.

It was removed and Evelyn, like Kailyn was walking the next day. The condition can become life-threatening if the tick is not removed quickly, with the potential for paralysis to affect respiratory muscles.

"Look who is walking out of the hospital!"

Woman charged after allegedly putting children in pet kennels
Mrs Cheeks neighbours' expressed their horror at the incident, with residents calling the grandmother a woman of strong faith. A woman in Tennessee was charged with transporting two young children in dog kennels inside her SUV, according to police .

Share